Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The First Finish Line!!

We are almost there! Our first goal was to get Chaz well enough for the girls to be here in DC for good. For us it made no sense to have the girls here permanently while Chaz was an inpatient. We didn't want the majority of their time to be spent in the hospital. We wanted them to have their Daddy in a better setting. Originally we were told it would be July possibly June when Chaz would go outpatient. But in March we discovered things were going a little bit faster than we ready for. So I started making phone calls and lining things up to get up here for a longer basis to help Chaz transition to outpatient and into the WTB (Warrior Transition Brigade). Things got pretty crazy in April. I ended up spending a lot more time here in DC so I could help Chaz. We decided that the end of the girls' school year would be the perfect time to bring our family together. Thanks to his drive and determination and my little pushes of encouragement here and there, we cross that finish line one week from today. The girls and I will be in the air that morning and will land in DC that afternoon to finally be together. To us this is a huge milestone.


I am totally amazed at how much he and I can accomplish when we put the girls number one. We wanted to get transitioned out and know what we were doing before the girls came here for good. We wanted to look like the pros they think we are. We crossed that finish line and now we're ready for the next one so we can be together for good, like it should be. Our little family will finally be together. Chaz and I are so excited about the things we can now do together. We have a list of things we can do with our girls and we are going to slowly but surely cross those out. He is s a lot more mobile and thanks to the van we truly have no limitations. This sense of freedom is such a great feeling. Life feels normal again. We don't have nearly as many things hindering us as we did before.


Over the years, Chaz has been gone a lot, but I have never been away from the girls so much. Also he's the one who leaves, not me. This whole experience has been one amazing learning experience. I finally understand what it feels like to leave the ones you love. I am just so thankful that I only had to leave for a week at a time. I could have lived my whole life without experiencing this, but now I appreciate our family even more and I am even more thankful for our little crew. I do not know how Chaz has left so many times for such crazy time frames. Reflecting on this makes me even more thankful for his strength and courage. And it makes me thankful for every soldier who has served. There's no way I could be prouder of Chaz than I am now. He is absolutely amazing. And the girls and I are so lucky to have him.


Even though Chaz and I have never had relationship problems, we are now even closer than ever. I have always loved him with every ounce of my heart, but now I love him even more, which I seriously didn't think was possible. I never knew how much I meant to him until all this occurred. I knew how much he meant to me, but I totally underestimated my worth to him. I never knew we were so destined to be together. We make one kick ass team that is for sure. Together we can handle anything life throws our way. We know we have crossed over some important milestones, but we have many more to come. One thing is for sure we are ready and we can handle it.


As we cross our first finish lines I want to thank everyone who helped us get here. We couldn't have made it without all the support. So thank you for your smiles, hugs, happy tears, prayers, phone calls, emails, cards, facebook messages and comments, meals, running the girls somewhere for me, for babysitting, gifts and for supporting Team Allen. We couldn't do it without your encouragement. Thank you all!
Have a great day!
=) Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment