Sunday, January 22, 2012

One Year Later......

Wow, did I just type one year later?! I cannot believe today is January 22, 2012. Today I sit in Maryland and I have a blog and am busier than I ever have been in my life! (It's a great kind of busy.) I cannot believe one year ago today our lives turned upside down with one step and then a phone call.

One year ago, I was doing just like I am now. I am sitting here catching up on computer work, except my work seems to mean a lot more. Last year I was answering emails and doing taxes. Now I am a blogger typing about the wars that we wounded warrior wives go through.

One year ago at this time (as I am typing this) Chaz would have been in the operating room in Kandahar. I was on another phone call trying to get more details. Deryn was on her way to dance and Ryann was watching cartoons on our couch. Now I am up typing away and the three of them are comfortably snoozing away. His guys were heading back to their base thinking they lost their friend and leader. Now they are home with their families thinking about where they were a year ago today.

One year ago, I almost lost the love of my life and the father of our beautiful girls. But he knew he had his three girls to get home to. He knew how much we needed him so he refused to give in. He laughed in the enemy's face and got back home to us.

One year ago, was a terribly, horrible day that now we will celebrate every year. We will celebrate the one step that changed our lives forever. Who would have ever thought one step could change so many things? One step, that's all it was. One step and Chaz set off an IED that would hurt way more than just his body. That one step made him fight for his life. That one step made us fight for our family. That one step made our marriage stronger than any steel in existence. I will be thankful for the one step my husband took that took us to our rawest parts and helped us see each other for who we are. Thanks to that step I am closer to my husband than ever before. Thanks to that step, he and I have been able to teach our girls the true meaning of resiliency.

One year ago today I began finding out who people really are. You see when a traumatic injury occurs it rips off the facades that people wear all the time. People don't have time to be fake, they can't keep up with the lies that they have been living. They are so stricken by grief that they let their guard down and they are completely exposed. God showed me who I can truly count on. Beginning one year ago today, God began to show me who needed to be in our lives. One by one, the ones we didn't need fell away. You see they weren't really my friends anyway. They couldn't get anything from me, because I was dealing with healing a family so they just dropped us. And then God began replacing (actually over replacing) those people with some of the most amazing people I have ever known.

One year ago today I had to examine our short term goals and throw some of them out the window. I wanted to be in law school right now, but God evidently thinks I should wait a little bit longer. We planned to build a house within the next 5 years, I guess God wanted to speed that up a little. Our long term goals are still the same. I am saving a lot more to make sure I account for the things Chaz may need down the road. I am embarrassed to admit that I haven't written out a monthly budget since January 15, 2011. Now I run our household finances like this. Do we need it? If the answer is no, then we don't get it. The girls have joined our saving campaign because they want complete control of their new rooms in the new house. Believe it or not our un-budgeting has worked out just fine. (Don't rat us out to Dave Ramsey or Suze Orman, they might be upset.) I'll get back to budgeting like a good girl one day soon!

Today we will thank God for January 22 and that one step. Beginning this year we will celebrate this day as if it was a holiday. We will rejoice for everything that has come from it. We will be thankful for the great and the horrible. Yes we are thankful for the horrible. It was the horrible that made the great even greater!

Today is Chaz's First Alive Day! I am so thankful to share this day with you! It will be another great day the Lord has made. It is another day we have together as a family. I made the executive decision that we will have an Alive week this week. Life is so beautiful and should be celebrated daily. But when you can look back and see how much we have overcome then you can understand why I plan to celebrate for a whole week!! I am overflowing with joy and am beyond blessed.

This year has been great because of you! If you are reading this then I hope you realize you also have been an important of this journey. You have supported us with your prayers and words and we are so thankful for you. No matter when you joined us on this journey, you have been a part of our healing and we thank you for it. We would not be where we are without all of the amazing support we have received. Thank you for helping us on our road to the new normal. I am so blessed to share this celebration of life with you and your family. This afternoon we'll be having some cake to celebrate our day and we will be giving thanks for you all then! God Bless each and every one of you and your families. We can never thank you enough for all of your support!!! Happy 1st Alive Day everyone!!!

9 comments:

  1. Happy, Happy Alive Day to your wonderfully blessed family, Jessica. Many people are celebrating with you and are thankful for what you have taught them this year. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, thank you so much for inviting us to share you and Chaz's Alive Day! I am so very proud of both of you and your girls, you are all such an inspiration to all of us. Many hugs and much love to all of you on this blessed day!
    Hugs,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Happy 1st Alive Day Chaz! Can't wait to see you all again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for opening up and sharing your lives with all of us. Not only is Chaz a hero but the four of you are for beating the odds and staying so positive. It proves that good does prevail over evil. I knew Chaz way back in middle school and there was always this quality about his personality that shined and just talking to him anyone would know that he was meant for great things. When I learned of what had happened I did have sinking feeling for you guys, I prayed, and then I knew that he was going to be fine. So thank you for sharing your lives with us it is a great celebration for us all who know him and though I have never met you or the girls I know that your family has been blessed and will continue to be blessed and in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So thankful that you're able to celebrate an ALIVE day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Know that I'm still here praying for your family!
    2 Samuel 22:29-33 For thou art my lamp, O LORD: and the LORD will lighten my darkness. For by thee I have run through a troop: by my God have I leaped over a wall. As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him. For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God? God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying right now!
    Isaiah 26:3-4 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christ went through all this for us, that we might have hope! Praying for you right now!!!
    Isaiah 53:7-10: He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying right now!
    1 Peter 1:18-19, 20 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot (21) Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  9. Know that you're always in my thoughts and prayers!
    Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete