Monday, September 12, 2011

And we're off.....again

Today we head back to Maryland to return Chaz to Bethesda (in case you missed it, Walter Reed merged into Bethesda). As of today I start my longest term away from Tennessee since college. I am just so thankful for all the adventures that lie ahead for us.

I am not making it up, I haven't been away from Tennessee this long since I was in college. Somehow the Army has kept Chaz here at Ft Campbell for all 13 years of his career. Yes I know that's weird, but it's true. Every time he requested to move us somewhere, they would deny it for deployments, except when they took him to Korea and I had to stay behind.

I am not complaining at all. I love Tennessee. My family moved here in 1982 and I've been here ever since, except for college. There are much worse places we could have been sent. Chaz and I wanted to go and travel but evidently the Army had other plans. When this is all said and done we will stay here in Clarksville. We have no reason to leave. We really love it here.

I have dreaded today, but now I am thankful it is here. I am ready to just get there now and move on with this chapter of our healing. This should be one of the final chapters. We are waiting on one last set of legs and the Army to decide what to do with Chaz. He wants to remain on Active Duty. Yes I know, he's my hero too! I am so proud of him for wanting to continue on. I think he will serve as a great example for others and he has a lot to give back. Can you imagine a better role model for these soldiers?

The Army has provided us with a very nice apartment in a very nice city. We have all sorts of things right at our finger tips. I am not crazy about living in a high rise apartment and parking in a parking garage, but things could be so much worse. I have just learned to suck it up and move on. But I do understand why people who live there are in such a grumpy mood all the time. Gees they are right on top of each other, literally. They don't have any space. I am glad we are doing all of this in chunks. I need to come back to our home and have some peace and quiet and space every now and again.

We do not know when we're be back home. However I will be in our home, with our tree for Christmas and I double dog dare the Army or Navy to stop me. I don't ask for much, but I want that for our family. We deserve it and only medical reasons can stop me.

I am ready to get back to DC/MD/VA because I have been working on some very exciting adventures. Our upcoming adventures and surprises mostly involve the girls. Yesterday was hard on Deryn. She doesn't want to leave her friends and who could blame her. She's 9 and this is all very hard to understand. Ryann told her last night, "We had lots of fun last time and Mommy and Daddy will make sure we have more." Deryn looked at me for validation and I assured her that Ryann was correct.

So today we'll rip the band aid off and jump on that plane. I am ready to get our schedule set and figured out and ready to discover what the Army has in store for us. I am also excited to see what other opportunities may come our way. I am also excited to see our new friends who live in that area. It's crazy that one month ago my TN friends and DC/MD/VA friends were in opposite places and now we're switching again. I am just so thankful that we have so many wonderful friends and I bet we'll make even more.

Many thanks again to Veterans Airlift Command for helping our family enjoy our vacation. If you haven't checked them out yet visit www.veteransairlift.org and see what they are doing for our wounded warrior families. We are so grateful for this amazing organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment