Monday, October 22, 2012

Insane Weekend....

Friday Chaz learned he had shingles. Saturday I woke up to a husband with a super swollen face. It looked like I took him out back and beat him. I knew it was an allergic reaction and insisted he take Benadryl. His throat wasn't tight and his tongue wasn't swollen so I knew we were ok. I drugged him up and left for the airport to pick up my mom, Demetria and Ray. Mom flew in to watch the girls while Chaz and I are in Houston. De and Ray came in for the Army Ten Miler.

I had no traffic in DC until I got to the downtown area. Then I discovered cop after cop with the area blocked off for an event downtown. After 45 minutes of trying to get to the airport, I realized I was not getting there. A police officer confirmed that thought. De let me know they landed and I called and told them to just grab the metro because I couldn't get to them. I had to turn around and go back, which was a good thing because I was worried about Chaz. I felt horrible about making them ride the Metro, but thankful for a plan B.

I got to Chaz to discover my first course of treatment didn't work the way I wanted it to. So I text then called my BFF whose also a NP (Nurse Practitioner), by the way everyone should have one of those. She told me I was on the right path and we discussed what to do and I drugged him up. By the time everyone arrived at our apartment Chaz was out for the count. This was about a ten minute span. I had a feeling our weekend plans were about to be axed, but I wanted to let him decide.

Hours passed and I enjoyed our company while Chaz slept. I kept checking on him. I could see his lip was going down but not everything. I woke him up and we argued about him going to the ER. Finally just before 4 I won and he went. Ray took him so they could have some bromance time and I could pack. I also had to notify the persons hosting our events that we couldn't attend. After a good chat we decided we'd scrap everything but the Army Ten Miler (for me) and the trip to Houston.

Chaz came back from the ER a new man. He looked awesome. He even said he was about 90%. Slowly but surely he's learning I know a few things, not everything, just a few things. I've had so many allergic reactions that I have become quite the expert.

Once he got settled in for the night. He told me that he was very upset about the Army Ten Miler. He also told me he was upset he caused me to miss my events. I told him that I stopped getting upset about missing things back in January 2011. He just laughed. He said, "I guess you've gotten used to all this." I said, "What planning only to cancel last minute? Yup, I'm a pro." I told him I needed him in Houston and at the Fisher House MCM Dinner on Saturday. He agreed. He told me he was most upset about not seeing me cross the ATM finish line for the first time. Then I was told it just means I have to do it again.

De and I woke up Sunday to jump on the Metro and join over 30,000 people at the Army Ten Miler. It was awesome watching the sun rise over the Pentagon. I'll confess I hurt all over this morning, but the experience was worth it. (ATM blog coming later). Chaz and I are in Houston (more details later on this too). The girls are being spoiled rotten with Gee in DC. It was an exhausting weekend, but Monday is here and it's time to get to work!!

2 comments:

  1. Aren't shingles and an allergic reaction two different things? Just glad he's doing better and way to go doing the ATM!
    Lifting up prayers!
    Psalms 145:14-18 The LORD upholdeth all that fall, and raiseth up all those that be bowed down. The eyes of all wait upon thee; and thou givest them their meat in due season. Thou openest thine hand, and satisfiest the desire of every living thing. The LORD is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works. The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know that I'm here lifting up thoughts and prayers.
    Psalms 107:28-31 Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses. He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven. Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
    My email address

    ReplyDelete