It all started when we took a family trip over to the International Spy Museum in DC. Deryn really enjoyed it and then mentioned having a spy party. Then I went to pinterest and here is what I created.
First I discovered this. http://www.etsy.com/listing/71039694/spy-secret-agent-birthday-party I happily paid the lady her $15.95 and waited for the file. She had it to me within hours and that's when my brain really started working. This PDF file contains 30 pages of printables. You just add in your personal touches. Invites were first! I printed them off and got some envelopes from Hobby Lobby that look like they were printed with paper bag material. I had our birthday girl choose all the "Code Name" and "Secret Agent" assignment for her guests. Each invite included the "secret party password" and instructions on the "secret handshake."
With the invites out to the spy recruits, I went to create our spy mission. We created the clues and disguised some boxes for the girls to find their next clue in. Here are our clues. I then put them in the same envelopes we sent the invites in. Then we put 6 of them in each of the clue boxes.
- Go to 1945 Spy Street. Ask Secret Agent Cinderella for a glass of water to go. Be careful and try not to spill any and bring it back to HQ. Enemy spies have been seen in this area. BE ALERT! (At this one Cinderella had helpers who attacked the girls with silly string.)
- Find the clue box under the ramp at HQ. What did you find inside?! Write it on the back. How many do you think are inside. BE CAREFUL!! Other spies might be lurking around and can break your cover!!
- Visit 51 Spy Blvd. Find Secret Agent Pikachu. She has something for you to bring back to HQ when you are done. Don't let anyone see what she gives you.
- Slide down the slide 3 times at 57 Spy Blvd. What color is the slide? What color is the ball in the backyard? Write down the answers on the back of this card and bring it back to HQ. STAY ALERT: Spies could be trying to take your picture!! (Here I had 2 toddlers taking "pictures" with bubble cameras. They were happy to help.)
- Find the secret message at 61 Spy Blvd. What color is the chalk and what did the message say? Write your answers down and bring them back to HQ.
- Find the adult at HQ whose middle name is Jane. Write the answer down and bring it back.
Here are all the spies ready to accept the mission.
Their "spy kits" included whistles, magnifying glasses, ink pens disguised as lipstick containers, binoculars, sunglasses, colored hair pieces, flashlights, and chem lights (aka glow sticks). You know, the things all great spies need. Most of this was ordered from Oriental Trading.
After they checked out their kits and got to know each other a bit, two teams at a time came up to my laptop to get their initial briefing. A great friend of our family was very happy to make a spy briefing video for the girls. Deryn was very happy to have her a part of her day. Our friend simply recorded a message that got the girls super excited to get going. Deryn was so excited to see our friend pop up on the laptop. She lives in Maryland and Deryn just loves her. It was great to have her incorporated into our adventure. I wanted to keep the girls out of our home so I could keep the other surprises secret, so I had to improvise and bring my laptop outside and I put it in the back of our car so the girls could watch it.