Sunday, April 1, 2012

Why this doesn't suck....

Chaz and I wrote this list in his hospital room in Ward 57 on Sunday, February 13, 2011. I copied and pasted this from my facebook notes.

***Top 10 reasons why this doesn't suck!***

Here's my top 10 list. This is not in any particular order except for number one!
  1. My husband is alive!!!!!!!
  2. No more deployments!!!!!! When this is all over Chaz should not miss anymore birthdays, anniversaries, holidays or big events.
  3. No more stinky feet in our house. I won't have anymore stinky socks in my hamper or on the floor. The dogs and kids won't run away when he takes his shoes off. I won't have to cover the house in something to cover the smell up.
  4. He won't cut me with his toe nails in bed anymore. I don't have to nag him about not taking care of his feet. We have argued over this many times.
  5. We will get awesome parking since we are now members of the blue man group.
  6. Chaz and I have been able to bond even closer with our Dads. We both love our Dads, but this has made us become even closer to them. Moms we of course love you too, but we've always kept that relationship with you.
  7. Our girls can now talk to their Daddy pretty much whenever they want.
  8. We're in DC! I am so going to use this opportunity as a learning experience for our family. There is so much to do and we'll have lots of time to do it. And we'll get to do it as a family!!
  9. Chaz is getting some of the best medical care possible. This is not how I wanted to experience it, but I am thankful for the technology.
  10. We have been able to reconnect with some awesome friends. You know who you are!! This is not the way I wanted to reconnect, but I am glad to say it's a positive effect of this.
Please understand this is how we heal. Chaz and I look at everything with humor and positivity. One of the first things he asked me was how did I pull myself up once I got the call. A few of these popped into my head. Since we have been on this road, we've added a few and we'll keep adding. Thanks again for all your prayers, support and understanding!!
=) Jessica ***


The day we made that list we had a hard time coming up with 10. We made the list because we needed to focus on the positive rather than drowning in the negative. When we made this list we had just been told that based on Chaz's injuries we should expect to be in the DC area for 3-4 years. When those words came out, I immediately began crying. All I could think about was the girls and everything they had to give up for us to make this work. After they gave us this grim news, Chaz grabbed my hand and said there's no way we're staying here that long. Sometimes reality really can suck and that day was one of those times. I never forget Chaz looking at me and saying I'll at least cut that four in half. I hoped he was right, but I trusted the doctors and therapists. I guess the lesson to learn from this is never ever underestimate faith, love, hope and determination. As of Friday, if all goes well, it looks like we will be heading home for good around November. Chaz is sticking to his word and will have more that cut that in half. Proud doesn't begin to explain how I feel about my husband. But now I have a few things to add to that list. Once again these are in no particular order.


1. We have made some new friends that I know will be life long friends.
2. The girls and I have truly learned what a hero is. And we are blessed to be so close to one and know so many others.
3. We have learned about some truly amazing non-profits and the amazing Americans who are the driving force behind them.
4. We learned that home schooling your children can be a truly amazing blessing that you'll never regret.
5. We have been given so many outstanding opportunities that we probably wouldn't have had and we cherish each and every one of them.
6. We never have to renew the license plates on our vehicles since Chaz got a purple heart and we live in the state of TN. (Chaz thought this was super cool).
7. We have been able to educate other people on the lives of our wounded. It has been our honor to do so.
8. We have learned that faith, hope, love and determination can get through any storm. No matter how bad it seems.
9. Paying it forward is absolutely one of the best things in the world. Now we constantly look for ways to do it.
10. We have learned the support of family and true friends can make any mountain into a grain of salt.

I hope you have enjoyed our lists!

1 comment:

  1. Praying right now!
    Psalms 86:15-16 But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth. O turn unto me, and have mercy upon me; give thy strength unto thy servant, and save the son of thine handmaid.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete